The second task of this community portal is to confirm all are okay with me (Charles RB II) seeking an sysop (administrator) position.
Supporters for Sysop
- Sndvg - I support Charles RB as Sysop on the DariaWiki. He's qualified and willing to take on the task. Sndvg (talk) 13:36, 22 December 2020 (UTC)
- WingZero - I support Charles RB II as Sysop on the DariaWiki. We do need someone with the power to get rid of spam pages, and he is willing and qualified to do the task. WingZero (talk) 16:34, 22 December 2020 (UTC)
- Lord Goring — what WingZero said. Lord Goring (talk) 08:34, 23 December 2020 (UTC)
Former bureaucrat electionEdit
Supporters for a New Bureaucrat
- WellTemperedClavier - Our previous bureaucrat has been inactive for a long time, and we need an active one to manage this Wiki. Charles RB is the ideal choice for this, as he's been a fair and effective administrator for the Lawndale-High message board. WellTemperedClavier (talk) 19:26, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- Princess_Pasta Reason for Support 19:52, 14 December 2020 (UTC) The Wiki has been without an active bureaucrat for awhile and we need someone to manage the Wiki who is reliable and has experience and I think Charles RB is the perfect candidate. Not only has he been an active member of the fandom for years, he also has experience managing Wiki pages and he's already taken on the task of adding a number of pages here.
- Charles RB II - The original bureacrat has been AWOL for years, which left a technical issue (all pages created since mid-point 2010) unfixed and the wiki had to be rebuilt page by page. 20:25, 14 December 2020 (UTC) Charles RB II (talk) 20:24 14 December 2020 (UTC) - EDIT: I nominate myself as I've been one of the more frequent wiki contributors for the past few years, under this and previous username 05:40, 18 December 2020 (UTC)
- Sndvg - This Wiki needs an experienced Bureaucrat, and Charles RB has plenty of experience; I have confidence he is the right man for the job. Sndvg (talk) 23:33, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- WingZero - Since the last bureaucrat disappeared we need a new one to keep on top of things here. Charles RB II seems to be up to the task.WingZero (talk) 00:03, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Kemical Reaxion - Our current bureaucrat is no longer active and we need someone to manage the Wiki going forward. I think Charles RB will do a great job and he's eager to take on the job. Kemical Reaxion (talk) 01:18, 22 December 2020 (UTC)
- Shiva - I agree, this wiki needs a new bureaucrat since Staren bailed on us. Charles RB seems to be the best (and only candidate) for the job, so my vote is for him. Shiva (talk) 03:37, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Brother Grimace - I agree with Shiva. I used to be a huge contributor to the Wiki, but I lost a HUGE amount of stuff by putting it here instead of saving it to my own machine, because I wanted it to be available to everyone. When Staren went assholes and elbows, all of that stuff permanently disappeared. Charles RB is who I'd want in charge; he's willing to do the job, he wants it, he CAN do it and he'll make certain that there's a way to access materials/make certain that the Wiki is up in a timely manner if there's problems. He's also not an a-hole; that's a big plus in my book. Brother Grimace (talk) 22:01, 21 December 2020 (UTC)
- Lord Goring:
- I have to agree with all the points brought up, but I reckon I also need to cover not only why we need a new bureaucrat (I think it's fairly obvious that Staren has vanished), but, seeing that we only have one candidate, i.e. CharlesRB, I need to explain why I think CharlesRB is a suitable and respectable candidate for a bureaucrat position. I have joined fandom very recently (less than two years ago, which is comparatively recent for Daria fandom's history), but I think I can sum up all the points I think are important in this regard.
- I'll start off with the fact that CharlesRB has been an active DariaWiki contributor ever since he joined Daria fandom (2010), which is long before Staren transferred
- DariaWiki to a Miraheze hosting (I'm fairly sure that happened sometime around 2017), so much that CharlesRB has been an admin on DariaWiki before the move to Miraheze. He has retained his admin powers after the transfer, but unfortunately he can't log in anymore, and therefore he recently created a new account, Charles RB II. After Staren vanished and a plethora of wiki pages started to disappear completely, CharlesRB has been among the active fandom members, if not THE active fandom member, trying to restore them, until the summer of 2018 when it became apparent that his account has been lost. I'll quote CharlesRB on this:
- "Since my login expired, I now can't log in at all. I get "this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again" - doing this doesn't work. Anyone else get that?
- This is getting fucking stupid. There's no admin for the wiki anymore, nobody can fill in when the owner is MIA, and we have no idea if there's any backups taken. The next thing that tanks it, there's no way of fixing it." (posted on Jun 06, 2018 on a PPMB thread called Dariawiki V).
- In 2018, the fandom started to use wikia Daria wiki as backup for canon material, which brought up the question on where to backup the DariaWiki articles not related to canon (i.e. detailing the fandom itself and its history). CharlesRB has founded a separate wikia Daria wiki just for that reason and the fandom has been using that wiki ever since, because, unlike the original DariaWiki, it is secure and has a reliable owner. I am a contributor on that wiki myself.
- However, I must point out that the wikia Daria wikis I have just described are not a completely suitable replacement for the DariaWiki. When I became a fan, I was an avid DariaWiki reader and I did not know about any of these two wikia wikis. What is more, DariaWiki still has more pages and more content than these two wikia wikis combined, and I could digress into pointing out how a bunch of pages on those wikis are very similar. I could also digress and point out the problems these wikis are facing, but I will simply conclude that now that the fandom has become aware that it CAN get the original DariaWiki back by electing a new bureacrat, CharlesRB is a suitable candidate for the position which is proven by his experience and consistency in trying to make DariaWiki a better place.
- I can also outline how the fandom went through the process of searching for suitable candidates for this bureaucrat position and how ChalresRB has turned out to be the only person who has enough time and skills for this position who responded, but I feel that would be redundant. If I am mistaken, feel free to ask me. Lord Goring (talk) 10:45, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Closing Remarks: As the Steward requested here from Stewards' noticeboard on Meta Wiki by WellTemperedClavier to assess your local
bureaucratelection in absence of the only local bureaucrat, Staren, I find that there there unanimous consensus here of the community to promote Charles RB II to the position of
bureaucrat. Note that Charles RB II has not requested the
sysopposition, and, though as bureaucrat he has the technical ability to promote users to the position of
sysop, a recommended best practice is that he seek a separate election for himself to the position of
sysop, should that be his desire. Additionally, as a helpful reminder, Miraheze operates upon the premise of locally controlled wikis with consensus-based decisions decided by the community. As such, though not an obligation, I do recommend your community propose policies for adoption, probably on this community portal, generally with Charles RB II or Staren (should the latter return to activity) being the ones to assess the results of community consensus-building decision-making, as that is customarily the role of a
bureaucratamongst other things. That way, you can propose community policies that guide the election of future administrators and bureaucrats, and removal of the same. As always, Steward assistance can be requested in cases where bureaucrats are inactive (such as this), though that doesn't seem likely to be a problem now. Additionally, should your wiki propose and adopt community policies governing removal of inactive bureaucrats, Stewards can be requested to attend your wiki to assess the result of that discussion as ManageWiki defaults to requiring Stewards to remove that bit. Finally, Stewards are also available to perform certain actions, such as
managewiki-restrictedrequests, election assessment request for local
interwiki administrator, and requests requiring the
bigdeleteuser right. Congratulations to the new
bureaucrat, Charles RB II. Dmehus (talk) 04:16, 22 December 2020 (UTC)