This spot holds a curious place in this fandom because it is never mentioned in the TV series. It appears only on the map of Lawndale from The Daria Diaries as a strawberry-shaped monument (or billboard) perhaps two stories high. Daria writes that it is the only roadside tourist attraction in the suburb of Lawndale, adding, "Kiss the stalk for good luck." It is also mentioned on Lawndale High's web page: Timothy O'Neill is running the "Save the Strawberry" campaign and trying to get it registered as a landmarked building, with little success ("someone at the National Register of Historic Places finally returned one of his phone calls"). It stands by the highway somewhere between the Lawndale Mall (a.k.a. Cranberry Commons) and Lawndale High.
The Big Strawberry is sometimes called the Giant Strawberry in fanfic. An unusual number of fanfics featuring the Big Strawberry are crossovers or are at least fairly strange.
The Big Strawberry in Daria Fanfiction
Daria fanfics in which the Big Strawberry figures prominently during at least one scene are given below. Even more fanfics make minor references to this attraction (such as the time a young Jane Lane defaced it with a spray can). Descriptions of the Big Strawberry vary widely.
- "Doctor Who-Gives-A-Damn" by Yui Daoren, a crossover with Doctor Who.
- "Lane Change" by Ranger Thorne, a sequel to "Doctor Who-Gives-A-Damn" (Doctor Who crossover).
- "Griffin's Flight" by Crusading Saint
- "Her, Uh, Cane" by Paperpusher - where it does not make it through the eponymous hurricane!
- "In The End, I Can Be Only Numb" by Mystik Slacker, a crossover with Highlander.
- "The Chosen One" by Wyvern337, a crossover with Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- "Penny for Your Thoughts" by Canadibrit
- "Strange Reunions" by Peter Guerin
- "The Statement of Daria Morgendorffer" by Brian Taylor
- "Beneath the Giant Strawberry," by Rod Dickley, courtesy of Ruthless Bunny (story is rated R for content)
- "Halloween Hellraiser" by Patrick Moore
- "A Hard Days' Night", by TAG
- Artwork of The Giant Strawberry by John Berry, for Paperpusher's fanfic, "Her, Uh, Cane" (the only known fan art of this attraction)
This article is a stub. You can help DariaWiki by expanding it.