A reality crossover is a Daria fanfic in which one or more characters enter the "real world" that we know, possibly meeting real-life fans, fanfiction authors, fan artists, or even the Daria show's creators in real person fiction. A reality crossover might also be a story in which the Daria characters are revealed to be actors who take part in the TV series. The series was well known for having Daria and Jane appear in off-canon canon situations in which they either appear in the real world or else have knowledge of it and their existence as cartoon characters.
It is possible to consider a reality crossover as the exact opposite of real-person fiction. In the former, Daria or one of her cohorts appears in the real world; in the latter, a real-life celebrity appears in a Dariaverse.
Reality crossovers are not often seen. Some notable examples are given below.
- "Canon Fodder," by Roentgen: Characters as actors story.
- "Drawn & Quartered," by TAG: Characters as actors story.
- "MTV Ruins Everything," by Seldavia: Daria writes the show.
- "Selling Sarcasm (Is a Great Way to Deal)," by Shane Greentree: Characters as actors scriptfic.
- "The Slacker Within," by Medea42: Trent comes to the real world.
- "The Trouble with Cast Parties," by Jill Palmer: Characters as actors story.
- "Walls? What Walls?" by smk: Daria, in spirit, visits a fanfic author.
- In "It's All About Respect," Brittany Taylor has a unplanned meeting with Brother Grimace, during which they discuss handguns.